- Contact our scheduling specialist at 214.483.9300.
- Have your insurance card with you when you call for an appointment.
- Print out our patient registration forms, fill them out completely and bring to appointment.
Your First Visit
For the first visit, the patient must be accompanied by the parent, stepparent or legal guardian.
Bring the following items:
- New patient paperwork
- Insurance card
- Copayment, if applicable
- A book or toy for your child in case there are any delays
Arrive at least 15 minutes before the appointment if you have not completed your new patient paperwork. You can complete it when you get here.
Let your child know what to expect. We will escort you and your child to an examination room together. After one of our team members takes your child’s vitals, the doctor will examine him or her. Read more about how to prepare your child for a visit to the doctor at Kids Health .
Ask questions. Once the exam is complete, the doctor will discuss your child’s condition and recommended treatment plan. We encourage you to ask questions and participate in the decision making process.
About Your Surgery
On the day before your surgery, review pre-surgical instructions, including food restrictions (called NPO). Anesthesia poses risks which can be life threatening if food or drink is in your child’s stomach. We may refer to the 2-4-6-8 hour rule (surgery may be delayed or cancelled if the 2-4-6-8 hour rule is not followed):
2-4-6-8 HOUR RULE
Length of time before appointment
What the patient can eat
2 hours or less: Clear liquids, including Pedialyte, apple juice, water, tea and sports drinks such as Gatorade. (orange juice and milk products are not clear liquids)
4 hours: Breast milk
6 hours: Formula or cow’s milk
8 hours: Solid foods, including baby food, rice and cereal
- Dress your child in comfortable clothing.
- Bring any blankets, stuffed animals or games that put your child at ease.
- Arrive on time. Your designated arrival time will usually be one to three hours before your scheduled surgery.
- Check in at the reception desk
- You and your child will be taken to the holding room (pre-op)
Holding Room (Pre-Op)
- You will receive paperwork to complete, including consent forms.
- You will meet with an anesthesiologist who will explain the process and answer your questions. The anesthesiologist may give your child a mild sedative to reduce anxiety before going to the operating room (OR).
- You will meet with the surgeon who will review the procedure and answer any last minute questions. We will do our best to estimate how long your child will be in surgery.
- Every child will need to have an IV placed for the delivery of medications during surgery.
- Your child may receive anesthesia “gas” to help him or her go to sleep before the IV is placed.
- An OR nurse provides updates about the surgery to parents approximately every hour.
- Your child will be taken to the recovery room after surgery.
- At the direction of the recovery room personnel, you may visit with your child.
- The surgeon will review your child’s case with you and answer any questions.
Going Home/Follow Up
- This surgeon and the anesthesiologist will determine when your child can go home. Some patients go home once they have recovered from the anesthesia; others may need to stay in the hospital for various reasons.
- We typically see patients in the office for a check-up two to four weeks after surgery.
For more detailed information on anesthesia, please visit Arch4kids.com
For your convenience, Pediatric Surgical Associates accepts most insurance plans. If you do not see your insurance provider listed below, please call our office at 214.483.9300 to confirm participation.
- 1st Health Network
- Accountable /Interplan Health Group
- All Savers
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Coventry Health Care
- First Care Southwest Health
- Galaxy Health Network
- Great West Healthcare
- Humana Military (TRICARE)
- IMS (Independent Medical Systems)
- Medicaid (Most Texas plans and HMOs)
- NCN (National Care Network)
- North Texas Healthcare Network
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)/ MultiPlan
- Texas True Choice